Tuesday 23 October 2012

In search of authentic women

My interest currently gravitates towards interesting women. Role models, perhaps, or just in-a-general-sense inspiring women. I wonder what it is that I want to clarify about them. Or about myself.

A Gentle Beauty...
A gentle beauty, Mumbai 2007, by Cameron Macmaster
I know what I am not interested in. Not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with beautiful or successful women. Or with superMums or powergirls. The latter just exhaust me! Don't get me wrong. As a woman, I am truly happy for them to have succeeded. I am grateful that they will inspire other women to take their chances. I wish them a long and happy life. And should anyone offer to make me very rich or incredibly beautiful I might just be tempted :-)I believe that women are (better) equipped to tune into matters of the heart, soul, even the body. Somehow they are simply better at tuning in. Perhaps this knowledge derives from being able to carry life within. Perhaps it is something else entirely.These days there are many women who choose not to develop this ability. Rather, they give it up in favour of being recognized by a predominately male world. I understand. Truly, I do. The call of the alpha male is strong and its response runs in our genes. Not easy to resist at all. Especially not if we need protection for ourselves or for our children.Before I may attempt to say any more about this, I feel I must try and define, or at least get a feeling for the kind of "tuning in" quality that I mean. For a while I have been drawn to to collect the faces of strong, authentic women, and their stories. Perhaps it is not just about women, either. There are also men “tuning in. Perhaps they have always been there.I am wondering if I might do this proposed investigation in this blog, or whether I should start a separate one.  

Whilst I am thinking about this, I will use this page to jot down some of the links that I have come across. These seem to be concerned with women’s achievements and contributions, recognition, which is not so much my “thing”. Still, the material is interesting.

 

http://www.mhamenondji.com/blog/amazing-women

http://www.distinguishedwomen.com Includes an incredible long links page for further reference.

http://www.amazingwomeninhistory.com/http://trulyamazingwomen.com/